In addition to aesthetics, a number of other factors come into play when buying new bathroom curtains.
For one thing, most people want this room of the house to be light but often bathrooms are small and cramped, which makes it challenging when it comes to natural light.
In this case, it would be important to choose window treatments that offer privacy but also curtains that are airy enough so light can filter into the room.
As far as privacy, this is often a real concern, especially for the bathroom. For instance, if your window faces a nearby neighbor, if you live in an apartment, or have a place in the city where people can see in, the key would be choosing curtains that add to the appeal to the room, allow sunlight in, but also keep prying eyes out.
Remember, you can purchase thermal backed curtains or choose curtains along with other window treatments to get the level of privacy needed but also the look.
Best Bathroom Curtains
Because there are so many things to consider when choosing bathroom curtains to include these plus others, we wanted to offer a brief buying guide to make the process of shopping easier. Finding curtains that meet all your needs is actually not difficult once you know what to look for and where to shop. In addition, with thousands of possibilities in today’s market, you can buy high-quality bathroom curtains but without spending a fortune.
For starters, determine the look you want to achieve. Based on this, you would choose elegant, contemporary, rustic, traditional, or whimsical curtains, or perhaps something else. Consider the style and décor of the room, as well as the color scheme.
Once you know how you want the room to look, then choosing material, style, color, and pattern is a breeze. For instance, for a cottage or shabby chic look, the bathroom curtains should be made of light material, something airy and possibly trimmed with lace. If the goal were to create a sophisticated bathroom, then you would look for heavier fabric such as jacquard or linen. However, a traditional room might include bathroom curtains made from cotton or a cotton and polyester blend.
Once you know the final look you want to achieve, add-in privacy and light elements. Keep in mind that even when choosing heavier fabrics, you can still create lightroom by using tiebacks or installing faux wood blinds layered with heavier cotton bathroom curtains of rich colors, textures, and patterns.
Even if light were an issue, using the layering effect would help with the natural light issue but still allow you to decorate the bathroom elegantly. Often, using curtains along with another type of window treatment such as blinds, shades, and shutters is the ideal solution no matter the look wanted.
In addition to the room’s decorum, bathroom curtains should also fit. One of the most common mistakes people make when buying new window treatments is failing to take accurate measurements.
Often, people will either guess or take measurements just once only to find out after making a purchase they were way off. Although the goal would be to purchase quality bathroom curtains, the truth is that even less expensive curtains would look nice if they fit properly.
For this reason, make sure you measure width and length twice for the window itself from frame-to-frame, but then add inches for the exact placement of the curtains.
You should also give some thought to maintenance and care. Today, most bathroom curtains sold can be hand or machine washed, which is the easiest and least expensive care option.
However, some of the higher quality curtains have to be dry-cleaned so if this type of cleaning is not in the budget or it is something you prefer to avoid, make sure you check the exact fabric or fabric blend, coupled with the manufacturer’s instructions for care.
Fancy Some Fabric Shower Curtains?
One thing that every bathroom needs is a shower curtain. One that works well- no one likes when the floor is all wet and slippery after a shower. Fabric shower curtains do their job well and look great, they are a preferred option for any bathroom.
A fabric shower curtain is very effective in keeping the water in the shower stall. The fabric itself is a breathable material, therefore it does not become moldy as easily as other materials, and it lasts longer. A fabric shower curtain liner can be inserted to protect the fabric curtain and repel the water, giving it an even longer life.
Even without the liners, often the fabric is made of special material that does not absorb the water. However be careful when buying- some fabric curtains may be very beautiful but they are impractical, as they do not do their job properly.
They may absorb too much water, which may ruin the design or even the curtain itself. With such curtains, fabric shower curtain liners are definitely needed.
For larger shower stalls or bathtubs, you can get extra long fabric shower curtains in all sorts of colors and designs. Different types of curtains may come with small nuances that make a huge difference to you.
Does it ever bother you that the hooks of your curtain can become easily undone, and after a while, it looks as if it is only half on? Then why not invest in a hookless fabric shower curtain, which will make your life easier and your bathroom looking neater.
You can choose any design you want for your shower curtain. If you have an elegant and nice bathroom, then an elegant fabric shower curtain is for you. If you like the more funky and contemporary look, you can choose from a great selection of dotted or striped fabric shower curtains.
If you can not decide on a specific curtain, you can always buy a few, and switch them every so often.
This is especially feasible when you buy cheap fabric shower curtains, as you won’t feel guilty buying more when spending less. Contemporary fabric shower curtains come in just about any design available, and you’re sure to enjoy picking out one for your bathroom.
You’ll love the way your bathroom looks with your handpicked fabric curtain, and be pleased that such a small change makes such a great difference. It’ll make your showers more enjoyable and exciting.
Popular Types of Bathroom Window Curtains
Although there are many different options for curtains, we wanted to provide information pertaining to the most popular types of bathroom window curtains. As you look over the various options, you may very well find something that appeals to you but if not, remember you have many other possibilities.
However, this list of popular choices exists for a reason. These curtains are typically the types that look best in bathrooms, which is why they have withstood the test of time.
• Pinch Pleated Bathroom Curtains – If you have a traditional style bathroom, then you would probably prefer pinch pleated curtains. These curtains are made with permanent pleats, which have actually been stitched into place so even when washed, the pleats never come out. When shopping for curtains of this type, we suggest you look for those that not only have the pleats stitched but also professionally pressed. Although you can find a few pinch pleat bathroom curtains designed so the pleats only occur toward the top, most often the pleats run the full length of the curtains for a more cohesive loo.
• Grommet Top Curtains – In this case, the curtains have been made with grommets at the top, which are large. Because of this, the curtain rod simply slips through the grommet and then placed onto the brackets. Grommet top bathroom window curtains are often one color and while somewhat simplistic in style, they have a modern twist that is very attractive.
• Flowing Curtains – Typically, flowing bathroom curtains are used for casual or traditional bathrooms. These curtains are usually made from a flowing polyester blend that creates a light and airy look. Rather than fit over a rod as with other types of bathroom curtains, flowing curtains usually drape over the rod. Again, these curtains are simple yet they add a touch of charm and elegance.
• Rod Pocket Curtains – If you want to create a more formal and sophisticated look in your bathroom, rod pocket curtains are an ideal solution. For these curtains, a pocket of material has been created at that top through which the rod fits. If wanted, you can purchase rod pocket curtains that have an additional two to three inches of the material above the pocket so when pulled open, they have a great look.
• Tab Top Curtains – The last option we wanted to mention is the tab top bathroom window curtains. In this case, the design consists of looped tabs of material spaced about every two to four inches apart instead of a pocket. The curtain rod would simply slip through each tab, which gives the bathroom window a trendy yet casual look. In addition, tab top curtains are often a popular choice for people who prefer to make bathroom curtains as opposed to buying them because they are relatively easy to make.
As mentioned, you have far more options than those mentioned above but these are the ones that are commonly used. Because these curtains work with so many room styles, they are in fact timeless.
Choosing and Buying Curtain Rods
When you are choosing which curtains you want to install in your home you have to consider many things from the color, style, fabric, and placement. If those curtains still don’t match the rest of your style then your interior design will suffer. Curtains not only have a cosmetic appeal but they also keep out light and heat while preserving your privacy. But once you have wonderful curtains you should consider finding attractive curtains rods to match. You certainly don’t want your beautiful curtains sitting on curtain rods that are not attractive.
It is recommended by most interior designers that you choose different curtains rods for the different rooms in your home. Not only because it will add appeals to the different rooms but also because one rod may be appealing with one type of curtains but not another.
The look will get dull if you have the same pattern and stitching everywhere you look. Variety is the best way to avoid having your design look stale. It is important to try and add something a little different to each window so that it has an appeal all its own.
There will be a lot of styles of curtain rods to choose from so you are going to have to decide what style and look you are going for. Do you want a look that is more classic and traditional or more modern and unconventional? When you are at the store looking at the curtain rods you should try and picture each one in your home and paired with your curtains. Imagine what feeling will be in your home if you choose those rods and is it a feeling that you want. Your interior design will invoke feelings in yourself and your visitors so it is important to consider what you want that feeling to be and if your design will accomplish that. The last thing you want is to feel uncomfortable in your own home.
Buying your new curtain rods is the next step. You know what you want and now you need to know where to get it. Many websites these days are selling a variety of styles of rods online. But as with purchasing anything on the Internet, you should do some research into the company itself. Buying from only the most reputable companies will ensure that you get exactly what you want.
Many of these websites will have so many designs to choose from you can get distracted. Focus on what you want and don’t be tempted to buy something that you see for a moment and look for what you really need instead. Compare websites for the price and shipping costs as well, you might find the exact same curtain rods at a much better price.
You can also buy curtain rods in home improvement stores. If you ask where you can find the rods for drapes and curtains. The employee will take you right to the section you’re looking for and you can make sure that they have what you need.
Look at everything they are offering and be sure it meets a high-quality standard so that you can be sure they will last a very long time. The right curtain rods can accent your interior design in a wonderful way, so be sure that you are finding the right curtain rods instead of just what’s popular or affordable at the moment.
Installing New Bathroom Window Curtains
The most important part of the new bathroom window curtains is the installation. Okay, most people think you simply pick a spot for the brackets, put the rod up, and then hang the curtains but in truth, this leads to an array of problems.
For one thing, you want your new curtains to look as if a professional had hung them, which in turn makes the entire room look amazing. As you will see from the information in this article, installing new bathroom curtains is not a major undertaking but it does require following proper steps.
Remember, when the new bathroom curtains are hung right, not only do they look gorgeous but you also avoid damaging the walls or even window frames by putting the brackets up wrong.
In addition, instead of the curtains falling down or starting to become lopsided, the proper installation would allow you to open and shut them daily without any movement. In other words, doing the installation the right way improves appearance, reduces potential damage, and provides seamless functionality.
Find the header or wall stud
The most important thing is finding the header or wall stud through which the screw for the brackets would be inserted. Typically, studs are evenly placed on either side of a bathroom window when the home is built but in older homes or in newer homes with a pool builder, this may not be the case.
Therefore, you may need to use hollow wall anchors. You cannot drill directly into the drywall since this material is not designed to hold weight. With an anchor, a tube made of plastic is inserted into the drywall and then into the plastic tube, the screw for the bracket inserted. That way, if the studs are not evenly spaced, you can place the brackets so they are, regardless.
In most homes, the bathroom window height is the same as the door height. Therefore, you would need to install the curtains so the top is even with the top of the window. However, if your bathroom window happens to be lower than the door, simply adjust where the brackets would be installed so once the new bathroom window curtains are hung, they are even to the top of the door. This creates a much more balanced and cohesive look, which helps pull the entire appearance of the room together.
Another thing to consider is that if the window is extremely narrow, you can create the illusion of width simply by inserting the brackets so they are drilled further out on the wall away from the window frame. Again, once you hang your new bathroom window curtains, the fabric would extend much further out from the frame, immediately making the room look larger. There are a number of secrets such as this that can enhance installing of bathroom curtains so if you have a “problem window”, do not worry as solutions are always available.
One last note is that if you have an old home whereby the walls are made of plaster, you will need to be extremely cautious when hanging brackets for your new curtains. Since plaster is actually a very fragile material, a small drill would need to be used to drill a pilot hole, followed by using a slightly larger drill so you can get a plastic wall anchor inserted. For a project such as this, make sure to take your time so you end up with a stronghold for the curtains but also no damage to the plaster wall.
Top Companies For Bathroom Curtains
Because there are so many different companies to consider, the process of choosing just one can be a little overwhelming. For that reason, we wanted to offer some recommendations on some of the companies that sell bathroom curtains that we feel have the best reputation but also those with a nice selection. That way, no matter your preferred style, you will find an array of possibilities. Keep in mind, this list is specific to internet shopping so there are a few other companies that you may like locally.
• Martha Stewart – You can always find a nice selection of bathroom window curtains, shower curtains, and other bathroom items from Martha Stewart and in most cases, the prices are very affordable. These choices are beautiful and the quality well worth the month.
• Pottery Barn – Although sometimes the price for products is a little higher than some people may want to pay, the selection is fabulous and the fabrics exquisite. Whether looking for something sophisticated or casual, more than likely you could find it on Pottery Barn’s website.
• Crate and Barrel – Another popular online store for bathroom curtains is Crate and Barrel, which has built a solid reputation over the years for excellence. The prices are reasonably and again, the selection vast so you would have no problem finding exactly what you need.
• Linenplace.com – At this online store, you will find wonderful choices and the nice thing is that the prices are good but you also have a huge selection of bathroom curtains and other items with a high thread count. That means the product is quality and a great investment.
• Best Bath and Beyond – Although you more than likely have this particular store locally, they also have a great website with an array of bathroom curtains, shower curtains, accessories, and more. In addition, this company often has great sales so if you need to stick to a budget without sacrificing on quality and selection, you may want to browse the site.
• Linen Source – Another great choice with mid-level to high-end brands for bathroom window curtains, shower curtains, rugs, and more. The rates are reasonable and shipping is very affordable.
• Kohls – We wanted to throw Kohls into the mix because this company is known for providing customers with great choices. To save even more money when shopping for bathroom curtains and other related items is to sign up as a customer, which in turn will yield coupons that can be used locally or on their website.